There was another 2 hour recess due to the fact there were objections by Martinez because of the defense witness' PowerPoint slides. It was such a waste of time this morning, and I don't know why they didn't take care of this BEFORE court started today. It was ridiculous...and if I was an Arizona taxpayer, I would be pissed off that my money was being wasted. I don't think Judge Stephens has a firm grasp on her court room.
Arias' Kinky Sex Life and Hot Showers Caused Her Amnesia
Arias took her seat next to Wilmott and the defense introduced their first "expert witness" today. What a joke! Psychologist Dr. Richard Samuels (or Dick - as Nancy Grace called him tonight) made his official diagnosis of Arias on the stand today: post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) and "transient global amnesia."
Wait for it...AND her amnesia was caused by the sex or being immersed in hot or cold water. Those are some of the reasons why people get amnesia, according to Samuels. Sounds like he got his diagnosis from the Magic 8 Ball!! Wow, just wow! Not to mention, this guy has a PhD and he's not a medical doctor. He brought out his fancy charts and psych jargon, but he didn't fool me (and I hope, he didn't fool the jury either).
Also, thanks to Sue in my Facebook group for pointing me in the direction of this little tidbit: Samuels is not the most ethical psychologist. This blows his credibility out of the water for me. He got dental work done in exchange for providing his psychological services. Tsk tsk! This happened while he was in New Jersey and he got busted by the New Jersey State Board of Psychological Examiners.
Dr. Drew Calls Out Samuels on "Quacky" Amnesia Diagnosis
Give me a freakin' break! Dr. Drew (who is a MEDICAL DOCTOR!) blew Samuels' transient global amnesia diagnosis out of the water. According to Dr. Drew, he stated tonight on his show that transient global amnesia is a medical condition and is a confusional state. It DOES NOT happen when immersed in cold or hot water, getting hit over the head, or after having sex.
This Is the Best 'Expert' Witness You Can Get, Defense?
Samuels is an obvious attention whore and he is a paid expert. He does this for a living so duh, he's paid to skew the diagnosis in Arias' favor. I just had to shake my head at this witness. Why didn't the defense call a forensics psychiatrist? Forensics psychiatrists are experts in criminology and criminal profiling. Arias is a criminal and needs to be examined and tested by a REAL psychiatrist.
I am so appalled that Samuels would DARE compare Arias to war vets and police officers. These men and women put their lives in danger on a daily basis and make huge sacrifices - their PTSD is a result of the traumatic experiences they endured while on the job.
Why the PTSD & Amnesia Diagnosis Are Laughable
The PTSD/amnesia diagnosis is a convenient cookie-cutter diagnosis and is a joke. The symptoms that Samuels talked about on the stand are very real and people can have memory loss and may not always remember traumatic events, but those DO NOT apply to Jodi Arias! The only thing that Arias suffers from is Pretend Traumatic Stress Disorder!!
Also, there are a LOT of loopholes in his amnesia/PTSD theory.
- Why didn't Samuels go back to her childhood and examine her alleged child abuse? That was left out of his testimony - how convenient! He didn't say one word about her child abuse. Oh, maybe because he knows she's lying. He said she knew she was lying about the ninja intruders but blamed that on her PTSD. No, that has to do with the fact that she's just a pathologically lying sociopath.
- So Arias ONLY suffered from a lapse in memory and had PTSD from the time she shot Travis until she was driving in the desert?
If that night was SO traumatic for Arias and she was fighting for her life (goes back to fight or flight), WHY didn't she have amnesia from the time Travis body slammed her on the tile? Why didn't she have amnesia the other times Travis allegedly abused her?
The only part of his diagnosis that I agreed with was Arias' flat, emotionless affect but I disagree that it's due to PTSD. It's due to the fact that she's a narcissistic sociopathic liar!
Here are some symptoms related to PTSD...and let's see how Arias doesn't fit any of them:
- Staying away from places, events, or objects that are reminders of the experience - WRONG!! Why did she go to Travis' house BEFORE his memorial? If she was truly suffering from PTSD, driving past his house would cause major anxiety and panic. She wasn't panicked or had any emotional issues after driving past his house.
- Feeling strong guilt, depression, or worry. She hasn't shown any remorse or guilt on the stand - she squeezes out a few fake tears as part of her sociopathic mask. Worried? Heck no! She is full of herself and narcissistic. She thinks she has this trial in the bag and in her La-La Land she actually thinks she's going to be acquitted, leave prison and have a love child with her sperm donor baby daddy and her girlfriend. The only flash of emotion she shows is anger under her scary veneer - "no one puts Baby in a corner!"
- Losing interest in activities that were enjoyable in the past - Hmmm, she still is able to draw her crappy art and sell it on eBay. It doesn't look like she's lost interest in art...oh and she still loves to lie. Her favorite thing to do!
My grade for the defense's expert witness? Sorry, Dr. Samuels I give you a F! He gives credible psychologists a bad name!