Saturday, February 23, 2013
The Jodi Arias Trial: Why Jodi Arias is a Sociopath
I decided to bring my Tirades blog back to life. For those not familiar with this blog, it's a platform for me to vent and share my opinions about politics, news, and just life in general - a place for me to vent my tirades.
I've been following the Jodi Arias trial since it began in January and it's like a train wreck - I can't stop watching! I've become active in a great group on Facebook of fellow like-minded concerned citizens who want justice for Travis Alexander and think Jodi Arias deserves the death penalty.
As a Californian, I tend to lean towards the liberal side but when it comes to crime and murder, that's where I draw the line. I also am fascinated with true crime, especially forensics psychology, and have watched a lot of documentaries about serial killers and read my share of books. I'm not an expert on forensics or psychology (if you count my sociology and psych classes from college, I know the basics when it comes to human psychology). But you don't have to be a professional psychiatrist to know that Jodi Arias is a sociopath and a pathological liar.
We have discussed in my Facebook group about sociopathy related to Jodi Arias; she could be the poster child for female sociopaths (she reminds me of a female Ted Bundy). Not to mention her testimony, especially during cross-exam, is illogical and the lame excuse that she "blacked out" (how convenient!) while she stabbed him 29 times just doesn't wash with me...or prosecutor, Juan Martinez...or anyone in their right, sane mind!
What Makes Jodi Arias a Sociopath?
1. Flat, emotionless affect - During the trial, Arias has shown little to zero emotion on her face (other than her tears, which look fake to me) when she answers questions. If she was truly abused, she would be visibly shaken, broken down, and sobbing as she recounted the alleged abuse by Alexander.
2. Narcissistic tendencies - Arias answers questions, she is snarky and almost sarcastic. The biggest sign of her narcissism is when she laughed in Martinez's face. She looked down and tried to stifle a giggle when Martinez asked her about her "memory" problems. A sociopath is narcissistic and self-absorbed. It's all about them and they don't care about anyone else, and act superior to others.
3. Lack of remorse and guilt - A sociopath does not show remorse or guilt for their actions (remember the BTK killer? His stony expression on the stand and his gruesome details of the murder clearly showed what a sociopathic murderer looks like up close and personal!)
4. Pathological lying - Her pathological lying has been apparent: between the ninja intruder story to how she was never at Alexander's home to now the broken finger story that was exposed during cross-exam. Sociopaths take a tiny bit of truth and then they twist it into a full blown lie. For example, she was caught in a huge lie about the day that she allegedly caught Alexander masturbating to an image of a boy at his home. Martinez blew that story out of the water by the evidence he submitted - phone records and text messages that showed that Alexander wasn't hounding Jodi all day. If anything, the evidence made Arias look like the liar she is. There were only five phone calls which showed she was lying that Travis called her all day long (and she still disagreed that Martinez didn't know what he was talking about, even though he had evidence to prove otherwise). Her body language, the way she gazes down, doesn't make eye contact, and closes her eyes a lot, shows signs of deception and lying.
5. Charming yet manipulative - Arias wins the Most Charming & Manipulative Award. You only had to listen to her long-winded defense diatribe detailing all the men she dated over the years. She clearly knows how to manipulate men and uses sex as a weapon. She used her charm to manipulate Alexander. However, he lacks normal social skills - another sign that points to her sociopathy. One one occasion she was asked by Alexander's friend's wife to leave their home. She sat in their living room with a blank stare on her face and didn't talk to anyone and she finally left after an hour. She obviously was NOT welcome in their home but she continued to stay in the house - what sane person does that? She is a black widow and she stings those who get in the way of who or what she wants. Unfortunately, Alexander made the fatal mistake of crossing Arias' path and it cost him his life.
Feel free to weigh in and comment about the Arias trial. What other signs have you witnessed that show that Arias is a sociopath?
Justice for Travis Alexander - no one deserves to be killed in such a brutal and heinous way!