Thursday, October 15, 2009

To the Book Burning Amazing Grace Baptist Church - You Aren't So Amazing

When I read the article about the Amazing Grace Baptist Church in North Carolina who plans to hold a book burning on Halloween night, I was disgusted. I posted the article link on my Facebook which caused quite a stir.

The ironic part about this story is that they aren't rounding up the classics like Hemingway and Melville. They plan to burn Bibles and faith-based works by the Pope and Mother Teresa. Yes, that's right - a "church" is burning Bibles and whatnot.

I was raised Catholic and even if you aren't Catholic, Mother Teresa has done amazing work in this world. I guess sacrificing your life and assisting the poor in Third World countries counts as "Satanic" work according to this particular church. To call Mother Teresa a "heretic"- that's a God-slap waiting to happen (a shout out to my friend Noel for teaching me about God-slaps).

They also plan to burn books by Billy Graham, Oral Roberts and Rick Warren who they deem as "heretics." Isn't that like turning on your own kind? Aren't Baptists Christian as well? I think that burning books of world-renowned Christian leaders/authors isn't very "Christian-like."

They also plan to burn all genres of music/CDs including "easy listening." Yeah, instrumental music has subliminal Satanic messages weaved throughout the melodies. I better send them all my instrumental jazz CDs (yes, jazz music was included in their list!)

According to this church, there is only ONE Bible (get it - only ONE) Bible that "true believers" should follow - the King James version. If you have a copy of the Living Bible, forget it - you aren't getting into the pearly gates of Heaven.

I wonder if they plan to burn the Koran and the Torah while they're at it. Perhaps the Bhagavad Gita? The Vedas, sacred scriptures of Hinduism? I'm sure Buddhist works will also be throw into their bonfire.

So Amazing Grace Church - here's my advice. I highly recommend you take the word "Grace" (and Amazing) out of your name because there isn't anything amazing or graceful about your church.

By the way, their website is shut down (thanks for that tidbit, Laura) and it's hosted by a Fundamentalist web hosting company with "Christian links" on their site.

I leave you with a quote from Mother Teresa:

"If we have no peace, it is because we have forgotten we belong to each other."

No comments:

Post a Comment