Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Breast Cancer Awareness Month - A Cause Close to my Heart


For those who don't know about my former career as a non-profit fundraiser (or my former life, as I like to call it), I helped plan a breast-cancer walk event for the American Society Cancer called Making Strides Against Breast Cancer.

October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month and this is a cause very close to my heart. I have friends and family who are survivors and also have lost loved ones and friends to breast cancer. I remember when I first started recruiting for the Strides walk and a woman told me she didn't have to think about breast cancer for a few more years. I asked her, "Do you have breasts?" She replied, "Yes." My response: "If you have breasts, then you need to be concerned about breast cancer TODAY. Women as young as 18 have been diagnosed with breast cancer." It's amazing how many people are misinformed/ignorant about public health issues, especially breast cancer. Early detection is the KEY - I cannot stress that enough. After working for ACS, I saw how early detection saved women's lives.

I encourage all women 40 plus years old to get a mammogram. For women under 40, if you have a history of breast cancer in your family please consider getting a mammogram before age 40. I also encourage all women to perform monthly self-breast exams. Also, MEN can also get breast cancer so men please beware too.

My friend Melanie (super blogger, mom and fellow writer!) is giving away pink pajamas and socks as part of a campaign to support Breast Cancer Awareness Month. This is a free giveaway so check out her information and enter to win cute pink pjs in honor of BC Awareness Month!
http://sunshineisfree.blogspot.com/2009/10/october-is-breast-cancer-awareness.html

Please remember all the amazing breast cancer survivors and honor those this month who we have lost their fight against breast cancer. If you can donate or volunteer in the fight against breast cancer, please research before you donate or volunteer time to any charitable organizations. There are plenty of scammers out there who will use this opportunity this month to prey upon people and take advantage of people's generosity. Beware! You can pull up information on all charities online or call the charity directly and ask for their annual finanical reports.

So wear your pink ribbon, walk in the name of your loved ones and don't forget that this is a cause we need to fight year-round!

1 comment:

  1. Great info Therese...I am a 4 year survivor diagnosed at age 32....Keep spreading the message.... :)) Kriste Gragg Merin

    ReplyDelete