Tuesday, March 10, 2009

American Idol - My Choices for "Theme" Weeks

I must admit I've been watching American Idol since the first season many moons ago. Thank you Trista for instilling my AI addiction back in the day. I haven't been a faithful follower but I've seen enough episodes to be a seasoned Americal Idol afficionado.

Tonight I didn't really understand WHY they would take legendary Michael Jackson songs and ask them to sing old school MJ (before he became a freak of nature). I'm thinking it was a publicity stunt on MJ's part since he's making a come back with his reunion tour.

I think there are some songs that the contestants shouldn't touch and Michael Jackson is one of them. I was a fan of MJ during his "Thriller" and "Bad" days. Even though he looks like a walking wax figurine and turned out to be a super freak (and not in a good way), I'll give him props for his talent.

AI has chosen some bizarre song choices for their "theme" weeks during the past AI seasons. Kenny Rogers, Paul Anka and Dolly Parton were some of the more odd "theme" weeks. If I had my choice these are the theme weeks I'd like to see:

  • Ozzy Osbourne (They only have to scream-sing and then they can make an annoying reality TV show later on down the road.)
  • The Cure (They just have to dress in black, wear dark kohl eyeliner and sing in whining, depressing monotones.)
  • Poison (Bret Michaels needs to pimp himself more because "Rock of Love" really sucks.)
  • Frank Sinatra (Oh wait, he's dead. Although, I think Frank would really dig AI. If he was still around, I could see him swigging some bourbon, swaggering drunk around the room saying, "Baby, you're the tops. You have a great set of pipes, dollface.")
  • Vanilla Ice (Has he done anything else since his one-hit wonder album? I heard he went the Christian rock route. Who knew?)
  • Tone Loc (I'd like to see that Adam dude attempt Funky Cold Medina.)
  • B-52s (The outfits and hair alone would be entertaining. Maybe Tatiana could sing back up?)
  • Grateful Dead (Dead Heads would probably revolt and storm the theatre in protest. Poor Jerry Garcia. He wouldn't be down with AI).
I also think I'd make a really great judge...but I'll save that for another post.

No comments:

Post a Comment